Friday, December 19, 2008

snow and pasta

I've officially been snowed in since Wed night ... the forecasters had been predicting snow since Tues night but it didn't really come in til overnight Wednesday. I woke up Thursday morning to this



It continued to snow most of Thursday and let up later that evening. I think there was at least half a foot when I looked this morning. But anyway, so I stayed home today as well, though in the afternoon I did venture out to the mall ... I was planning to go to the grocery store afterwards, but on my way, the car next to me's back tires started spinning and he got stuck!! I stared in horror and decided to head back home instead.

I had done enough grocery shopping for a few meals on Wednesday though so I decided to cook tonight. I was trying this recipe by Giada on the Food Network - Pasta with Pancetta and Tomato Sauce. I didn't want to make a pound of pasta for just me, so I bought some fresh linguine that was about 10 oz. I then tried to readjust all the other ingredients accordingly ...



Instead of the whole can of tomato sauce, I used about 2/3rds, half an onion instead of a whole, and about 4 oz of pancetta instead of 6 oz. Here's what it looked like when I was saute'ing the onions and pancetta~



This was very easy to make. But it came out way more tomato-ey and thicker than I would like. I think one, I probably still had too much tomato sauce, and two, I didn't add as much of the pasta liquid as I could have ... since I was just trying to eyeball it. I could also definitely taste the cheese, which I sprinkled fairly sparingly ... probably put in about 3 good sprinkles. It looks very spahgetti-y (probably b/c of the tomato-based sauce)

*the picture has been removed, cat deemed it unappetizing lol*

But overall, I actually ate quite a bit and liked it. Just a bit thicker than I would like I think. I still have leftover ingredients but no linguine at home, ... so I'm going to try to use the rest with cappelini and liquify the sauce a bit more and see how it turns out. Seeing as how the forecast calls for more snow Sunday through Wednesday, I probably will try it out soon ...

1 comment:

Kungfucius said...

I heard on the radio while driving in that Seattle will have 6 more inches of snow. More time for you to cook! :P