Tuesday, April 14, 2009

chicken pot pie

I was keen on baking dinner tonight and I went through like a thousand recipes - salmon, lasagna, chicken, the list went on. I finally decided on this chicken pot pie recipe by Paula Deen. I read all the reviews and knew what to change and what to expect in some ways, etc. I liked it ... and it was fairly easy.

For the filling ~

  • 1 lb chicken breast - cut into small pieces and sprinkled with salt + pepper on top
  • 1/2 cup of sliced carrots (I used baby carrots)
  • 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup of chopped onionsj
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup of sweet peas
I sauteed the chicken breast with garlic for a couple minutes, and then added the carrots, mushrooms, and onions for another few minutes until the onions were soft. I layered all of that + the peas in a greased 2 qt casserole dish. Then I mixed:

  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup (low sodium)
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • salt + pepper
And layered it on top of the filling. Then, I mixed up:

  • 1 1/2 cup of Bisquick
  • 1 cup of milk

pretty good, and layered that on top. Then I just melted 2 tbsp of butter and drizzled it on top of the biscuit mix. Preheated oven to 350 deg and baked for almost an hour - the recipe said 35-45 mins until golden brown, but it took me almost an hour to get to that. Anyway, the cream of chicken / chicken broth was definitely liquidy like the reviews suggested. Next time, I think I will make that thicker (less chicken broth) and also maybe up the heat a little so it doesn't take so long.

No comments: