Tuesday, June 2, 2009

portland!

This is long overdue and sitting in my drafts - Portland! We went there for the 5/9 weekend and the weather was gorgeous.

We left Saturday morning and arrived in time for lunch. Went to the Portland Saturday Market in downtown and it was better than I thought it'd be - lots of booths with food and local stuff like clothes, crafts, etc. Spent a good bit walking around (shopping =D). Afterwards, we went to the Rose Garden which was sadly Rose-less - there were no roses! I don't think I even saw one. The view was supposed to be nice too but there wasn't too much. We then walked up to the Japanese Garden but by then it was closing and it cost to go in so skipped in.



We went back to chill @ the hotel for a bit - stayed at the Hotel Deluxe which was cute. It felt a little bit like a boutique hotel and the location was fair (western part of downtown but still convenient) - I think next time though I will opt for staying more central downtown or closer to the Pearl District. They had great customer service and a lot of cute little touches though and we got a great deal. Not only that, they then lost our reservation so we somehow ended up with a better price. But anyway ... I digress ... after hanging out a bit, we went to eat at Jake's Famous Crawfish kinda in Pearl District which was fantastic. I think it's part of the McCormick's family of restaurants but the fish was oh so amazing. After that we walked around for about half an hour and opted to head back - pooped out!

Sunday, we went on this Willamette Jetboat Tour that left from the OMSI - it was so much fun! It's a 2 hour tour down the river and they do fun things like dip the boat and it goes up to 60mph. You can get pretty soaked as they do a 360 on the boat - I was smart and brought my anorak hehe. We got to see houseboats, a lot of grand houses on the river, and the Willamette Falls further down. I'd totally recommend it for a Portland tourist.




All in all a great trip! :)

No comments: