Thursday, January 15, 2009

beer and wine

I've been out and about again the last week, but nothing terribly exciting so I thought I'd write a little about what I've drank. (Now thinking about it, detailing every alcoholic drink I consume could be a blog in and of itself but nevertheless...)

Last Friday, I went to a birthday at Old Town Ale House - a bar/restaurant I had never been to in Ballard. On a side note, I didn't look up the directions very well but I figured it'd be okay, how big is Ballard? I was of the mind that everything in Ballard is moments away from Market Street. I got there, found what I thought was a great parking spot on Market (someone was just leaving) and I thought score! I proceeded to parallel park in one giant swoop, so impressive that 2 people standing on the street complimented me on my excellent parallel parking skills when I got out =D But anyway, then I found out that the restaurant was a good 5 blocks away and there was plenty of parking closeby. Oops lol. But anyway, this place boasts a fair amount of Belgians, and I got the Lambic rotating that night. I can't tell you exactly what it was but it was rather good! Darker than other Belgians I've had, sweet but with a great finish. So good I had 2. Then, I got to my next bday party, a karaoke with lots of liquor and forgot everything else I drank that night.

On Monday, I ended up at Black Bottle with the boss and co and the food was Black Bottle quality as usual. Which is to say, good but sometimes unusual and the kind where you can't decide if it's an unusual you like or will order again. I used to love Black Bottle, it being one of my top restaurants in Seattle but it's kind of gone down the list as time as passed. But anyway, we ordered bacon wrapped scallops (delicious), blasted broccoli (like really oily burnt broccolli, tasted great but wasn't something you'd order if you're thinking of adding that healthy veggie to your dishes), and a prosciutto and bechamel flatbread, which was also good but lately I just can't stomach anything too pizza-like. Lately I can't eat anything with too much grease or fat, it doesn't sit well w/ my stomach. I guess if you want to start eating healthy, the way to do it is to develop an aversion to fat. Anyway, I also had a couple glasses of Marqués de Riscal Rioja while I was there, which I always like. I guess Black Bottle was a wash on Monday: + 2 for scallops and wine, - 2 for the broccoli and flatbread.

At trivia, this was the week before, but anyway at the Celtic Bayou, they have a list of rotating taps and I always try something new. Last week, I tried a great red ale by Iron Horse, a local brewery in Ellensburg, WA. This week I tried a brown ale by them but I have to say the red is really great. I like it a lot better than the Chopper's Red.

No comments: