Sunday, January 24, 2010

stuffed fish, carrot soup

SF post is overdue, but that'll come later. I finally got to cook this year (a few times now) so here it is :)

I wanted to try this stuffed baked fish first ...

  • 1 celery stalk diced
  • 3 tbsp diced onion
Sauteed that in a tbsp of butter until soft. Mixed with the following

  • about 10 mushrooms - half of them quartered, the other half chopped up
  • 1 can of water chestnuts, chopped up
  • 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp chopped parsley
  • salt and pepper
I added another 2 tbsp diced onions and spooned those into 2 whole rainbow trouts. Put into baking dish, dotted with some butter, some more onions, 1/4 cup of white wine, and 1/2 cup of water. Baked for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

The fish was really good, the stuffing was good. I wouldn't put more onions in next time (my mistake). Also, the trout had a lot of bones, next time I want to try with just placing the stuffing b/t 2 thin fillets and seeing how it turns out. The wine was a good choice though, gave the fish more flavor.

I had some carrots I wanted to use so I made carrot soup - more like puree.

  • chopped carrots - about 2-3 cups worth
  • 1 yukon gold potato, cubed
  • some chicken broth
  • 1 tsp of ground ginger
Cooked until the vegetables were soft. Pureed in a blender, added back to pot, re-heat on low and added some milk, dried rosemary, salt and pepper. Went a little too heavy on rosemary but otherwise this was tasty. Next time I need to add more broth as it was a little too thick.

1 comment:

moonfleck said...

hey that looks pretty good! your blog makes me so hungry all the time